Many Local Seniors Need Our Help
- About a half million seniors age 60 and over are living in our service area……. More than 25% of them are living alone.
- More than 97,000 of these seniors are living below 125% of the poverty level.
- Nearly 1/3 of local seniors have at least one disability, such as Alzheimer’s Disease, Hearing Loss or Vision Impairments.
- More than 7,000 Grandparents are now responsible for raising their own grandchildren.
- There are 63,000 veterans over the age of 60 living in our community.
And Those Needs Are Growing Fast!
- In 2015, approximately 60,000 calls come into our Aging & Disability Resource Center through the Elder Helpline. That number has doubled over the past 4 years and continues to increase.
- Last year, more than 30,000 reports alleging the abuse, neglect and exploitation of older adults in Florida were called into the hotline. Statistically we know that for each case that is reported, 14 go unreported.
- According to AARP, 85% of senior homeowners (65 years and older) in the US say they want to stay in their homes and communities as they age. The number of people in this age group is increasing every year.
- In 2015, Senior Connection Center helped needy seniors by funding 57,183 hours of personal services, 94,236 hours of homemaker and companion services and nearly 1 million meals!.
- We currently have 50+ active SHINE volunteers. In 2015, these volunteers made more than 33,000 client contacts to Medicare recipients and their caregivers.